The Montana Federation of Public Employees (MFPE) seeks a qualified individual to fill the position of Temporary State Affiliate Political Organizer, based in Helena. Successful applicant should possess experience and/or formal training in fields related to job description, including political campaigns, communications, and/or organizing. Other qualifications include a high school diploma, or equivalent, with strong data management and communications skills. This is a temporary, one year position, with possibility of extension.
The position is responsible for assisting MFPE in developing and implementing MFPE’s political program, political action committee fundraising, communications program, and legislative action to build member engagement and activism.
MFPE is a statewide union representing members employed in all aspects of public service and education.
Compensation includes annual salary of $39,500 – $42,500, depending on experience, and health benefits. Some evening and weekend work and in-state and out-of-state travel are required. MFPE is a tobacco-free workplace.
Application is by letter and resume, detailing relevant experience and education, C/o Erik Burke, MFPE Executive Director, 1232 E. Sixth Ave., Helena MT 59601, or by e-mail to [email protected]mfpe.org.
MFPE State Affiliate Political Organizer
Position Summary: The state affiliate political organizer (SAPO) provides support to the MFPE political director, director of communications, management, and governance to support and strengthen the legislative and political field work of MFPE. Position is based in Helena and responsible to the MFPE executive director. This is a temporary, one year position, with possibility of extension, and does not fall under the provisions of the MFPE contract with MFPE staff. Position involves in-state and out-of-state travel.
Qualifications: High school graduate. Experience and/or formal training in fields related to political campaigns and/or organizing. Strong written and oral communication skills. Computer literacy and data management skills. Valid driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities: The state affiliate political organizer shall carry out the following duties:
- Maintain knowledge of MFPE issues, mission, and programs.
- Directly assist the MFPE political director in developing and implementing MFPE’s political program, political action committee fundraising, and legislative action to build member engagement and activism.
- Assist MFPE political director in coordinating all legislative and political member engagement activities and programs.
- Assist the MFPE communications director in development, revision, and distribution of materials and messaging for political and legislative engagement.
- Assist MFPE political director and other MFPE staff with data collection and entry related to political and organizing programs and assist with the management and reporting of such data.
- Represent MFPE at meetings related to duties, as necessary, including meetings of MFPE’s two national affiliates.
- Maintain knowledge of computer systems, data systems, and software programs in use by MFPE.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned and provide back-up support for staff as needed.